In 2007 Aluminum Corporation of China (CHINALCO) created Mineria Chinalco Peru S.A. (Chinalco Peru) in order to construct, develop and operate the copper mega-project Toromocho.
The Toromocho Mining Unit has been the top world class copper mine that a Chinese company has executed and developed since the beginning of foreign operations.
Today, Chinalco Peru is one of China Copper’s most important companies and is absolutely the largest foreign company belonging to CHINALCO.
We invite you to read about the milestones that have led us to be the most important copper mine in the country:
Chinalco President, Mr. Xiao Yaqing, announces the successful adquisition of the Toromocho Project.
Official launch of Kingsmill Tunnel Water Treatment Plant operations.
- Main chrusher start.
- First entry of minerals into SAG mill.
- Ex–president of Peru Mr. Ollanta Humala (left) and the ex–president of Aluminum Corporation of China, Mr. Xiong Weiping (right) announce the beginning of operational phase.
- The stacker pours its first “spoonfull” into the stockpile.
- Start of ball mill 2 operations.
- First shipment of copper concentrate.
Processing plant reaches its designated maximum production capacity
Property titles are given to “Morocochanos”, the home owners of Nueva Morococha.
On June 1st, the President of the Republic, Mr. Martin Vizcarra, and Dr. Ge Honglin, President of Aluminum Corporation of China, announce the start of construction of the Toromocho Mining Unit Plant expansion.
Beginning of operational testing of the plant expansion’s SAG ball mill.